Friday, August 5, 2011

The problem with cravings...

About an hour after midnight, I watched a character in a tv show sip hot cocoa, and was suddenly struck with a desperate NEED for hot cocoa, immediately. Ashland being Ashland, however, meant that every grocery store, coffee shop, and most gas stations closed hours earlier. So the husband and I headed to 7-11 by the school that was sure to still be open. For the first time since I've known him, Brian was so distracted that he was actually speeding instead of painstakingly going exactly the speed limit, or even one or two mph under. We passed from the 35mph zone into the 25mph zone and he kept going 41mph, and of course we got pulled over by a cop.

The cop noticed the baby car seat in the back and then asked if I was pregnant (very diplomatic of him). We told him that the baby was due in six days, and he said he had a six-month old at home, and let us off with a warning because he (very kindly) wanted us to save the $190 from the ticket to pay for baby stuff with. Nicest cop EVER! Afterwards, Brian commented that baby Hank was already pulling his weight, and he wasn't even born yet! =D Anyway, I took the opportunity to ask the cop a question, and he cleared up a common misconception that is frequently misrepresented on tv.

In tv shows and movies, whenever there's a woman going into labor and the husband or whoever is speeding to get to the hospital and they get pulled over by a cop, the cop always escorts them to the hospital and doesn't give them a ticket. But according to the cop we met tonight, it's still illegal to speed in that situation, and those people on those tv shows should still receive speeding tickets, and they usually would also not receive police escorts, because unless the baby is crowning, there is more than enough time to get to the hospital. (Labor lasts for HOURS.)

I think that any 7-11 around 1:30am is going to be patronized by some strange people. There was a woman in line before us at the cash register who just started talking to me for no reason for a few minutes, telling me about her life and explaining her purchases and whatnot. And then she noticed that I'm pregnant, and proceeded to touch my stomach without permission not once, not twice, but FOUR TIMES. I tried to dodge her the first time, but failed because I'm not that flexible anymore. I managed to avoid her grasp the fourth time. And frankly, I didn't speak up and tell her not to touch me because she looked unstable and scary and very likely on drugs. But seriously, just kept reaching for my stomach four times in less than a minute without asking permission even though I was holding my purchases in front of my body. She just reached around my hands that were blocking my stomach and kept touching me and it freaked me out.

So, hot cocoa craving satisfied. Speeding ticket averted by our unborn child. And most satisfying of all, whenever Brian wants to brag about how much better he thinks his driving is than mine, I'll be able to remind him about the time he was speeding and then rammed the curb when he got pulled over and only weaseled out of getting a ticket because of his unborn son. (Seriously, the cop asked if Brian had been drinking because of the way he ran into the curb. It was hilarious.)



.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh! Last night around midnight, Julie, Gata, and I had hot cocoa with Janelle over Skype :D I bet you also got it a bit from us.

    ReplyDelete